Monday, January 12, 2009

Student Sells Virginity to Pay Tuition

I posted about the cost of college before, but this really takes the cake.

A British women's studies major is auctioning off her virginity to pay for her masters degree in Family and Marriage Therapy. She is receiving offers of up to $3.7 million thus far.

While most people would find this extreme, and illegal in the US, Britain technically allows prostitution (but not brothels or "street solicitation"). The young woman is very cogent about what she is doing:

"I know that a lot of people will condemn me for this because it's so taboo but I really don't have a problem with that. My study is completely authentic in that I truly am auctioning my virginity but I am not being sold into this. I'm not being taken advantage of in any way. I think me and the person I do it with will both profit greatly from the deal."


A mutually agreed upon and beneficial exchange? While certainly disagreeable to some, we can probably paraphrase Voltaire that "I may not agree with what you're doing, but I'll defend to the death your right to do it."

No comments: