Among those coming out against Obama's claim that "there is no disagreement" about the need for a stimulus plan is Harvard Professor Jeffrey Miron, friend of SFL who delivered the keynote address at our Boston Conference this past November 1. In an article posted on cnn.com, he proposes a libertarian stimulus package. As Professor Miron argues:
In any case, libertarians do not argue for doing nothing; rather, they advocate eliminating or adjusting policies that are bad for the economy independent of the recession.
He proposes a nine-point plan to lift the economy out of its current freefall:
1. Repeal the Corporate Income Tax
2. Increase Carbon Taxes while Lowering Marginal Tax Rates
3. Moderate the Growth of Entitlements
4. Eliminate Wasteful Spending
5. Withdraw from Iraq and Afghanistan
6. Limit Union Power
7. Renew America's Commitment to Free Trade
8. Expand Legal Immigration
9. Stop Bailing out Businesses that Took on Too Much Risk
It's a great article and worth a read.