The stereotype amongst all nonprofits and other organizations dedicated to liberty is that student groups are irresponsible and they are lucky if they can arrange any kind of event with a student group. This is a terrible reputation that groups need to recognize and fight against. If you want to get the respect and assistance of outside organizations, administrative support, and become a successful organization, professionalism must be exuded at all times. This means several things:
- Respond to all emails in a timely manner. Do not wait a week to answer emails. Respond within 48 hours. You check your email at least 10 times a day. You can respond within 48 hours.
- Be respectful in emails. Use proper pronunciation and check for grammatical errors.
- Do not expect support, but be grateful when you receive it.
- When you bring in a speaker, dress in at least business casual to introduce him/her. Have water on hand for the speaker. And invite them out for drinks afterward.
- Treat your role in the organization as if it were a job, because it is.